SC SWCS AWARDS CRITERIA
CONSERVATION TECHNICAL AWARD
- Given for outstanding technical assistance
provided to land user.
- Natural resource related.
- Sustained exemplary performance over a 3-5 year
- Innovative assistance that may have impacted
county or multi-county area.
- SWCS members or non-members eligible.
- Only one given per year.
- Explain how nominee’s performance has benefited
quality of life in the community.
- Recipient will receive a plaque and other
individual suitable items up to a $200 value.
- This will be a one time only award and given
and presented only when appropriately earned.
- This award does not have to be given each year.
- Society members and non-members are eligible.
- A nominee’s outstanding accomplishments must be
widely recognized by leaders in soil and water conservation and/or related
- The nominee’s influence or position should have
materially stimulated interest in and advanced the conservation of soil,
water, and related natural resources through one or more of the following
fields: author, speaker, educator, administrator, industry, business,
banking, soil conservation district, profession (lawyer, doctor, minister,
etc.), and nonpartisan political activity.
- The nominee’s activity shall have been of a
voluntary nature and not part of his or her normal working duties.
- The nominee’s political activities can in no
way be construed to reflect a partisan attitude on the part of the
- Activities of corporate sustaining members of the Society are
- Society chapter activities are not eligible in this category.
- Eligible organizations include press, radio, movies, television,
industries, corporations, churches, societies, foundations, civic clubs,
scout groups, and other organizations, public or private, that have
carried out a noteworthy conservation activity.
- The effort or activity shall be in line with the Society’s mission.
- The activity should be the result of an organized program and may
include the activity of an agency of government.
- The activity shall have an effort over a large area, or at least a
large part of a state or province, or parts of several state or provinces.
- The principal effect of the activity should have been directed to
other than professional conservationists.
- The activity should have clearly contributed to bringing about
better conservation of soil, water, and related natural resources and/or
better understanding of natural resource conservation issues.
- The selection of the organization should not bring discredit to
similar or competing organizations.
- All Society members
are eligible for consideration except members who have received a Palmetto
Fellow Award within the past five years.
- The activity for
which the individual is recognized should be in line with the Society’s
objectives, growth, and activities.
- The nominee shall
have served as a committee member, or as a chapter officer, or in another
capacity, and shall have been instrumental, in an exceptional way, in the
development or implementation of a chapter.
- The activity should
have required exceptional time or effort.
- The nominee’s
activity shall have been accomplished recently, does not necessarily have
to be a long, sustained project; and may have been done over a period of
less than a year.
- There is no limit to
the number of times the Commendation Award may be given to an individual
or on the time span between Commendations.
OUTSTANDING SERVICE AWARD
Outstanding Service Award is given to Society members in recognition of distinguished service in
helping the Society to develop and carry out its program over a long and
sustained period of time.
- Any Society member may be nominated. A
five-year period, however, must elapse before members who have received
Palmetto Fellow Awards are eligible for the Outstanding Service Award.
- The nominee must have performed distinguished
service to the Society on a sustained basis for at least 10 years. This
service may have been performed at the chapter, regional, or international
level, or any combination thereof.
- The nominee’s service should include activities
that help the Society to achieve its goals and objectives.
- The award will not be given merely to recognize
long membership in the Society or to honor a member’s retirement.
Palmetto Fellow Award
The SC Chapter Palmetto Fellow
Award is utilized to recognize SC Chapter members who have distinguished
themselves by actively promoting and carrying out the mission and activities of
the Chapter over a long period of time (5 years minimum). Accomplishments would
have had state-wide impact and would include activities that have significantly
enhanced the Chapter’s ability to protect the state’s natural resources. This is the most prestigious and highest award
offered by the SC Chapter. It is applicable only to the SC Chapter.
Only SC Chapter Society members are
eligible for nomination that have been a continuous member for a minimum of 5
years. An individual may receive this award one time only.
The nominee must have performed
distinguished service to the Chapter and demonstrated same in such ways as:
Actively participating on committees
Planning, organizing, and/or implementing
Providing a majority of service on a voluntary
Participating in activities having a state-wide
Significantly enhancing the chapter’s ability to
protect the natural resources
Demonstrating participation in other activities
beyond the scope of employment
The nominee’s service should
include activities that help the Chapter achieve and/or work toward its
mission, goals, and objectives.
The award will not be given merely
to recognize long membership or to honor a member’s retirement.
This award is given only when
appropriately earned and does not have to be given each year.
Nomination will be in writing
following a format approved by the Executive Board. At least 5 SC Chapter
members, with no more that one being a current board member, must sign the
nomination. The nomination will be forwarded to the Awards committee.
Supporting material should clearly
document relevant criteria including such items as length and continuity of
membership, offices, committee, and other positions held (if any), descriptions
of activities, demonstrating how the nominee significantly enhanced the
chapter’s ability to protect the
state’s natural resources.
Committee will evaluate all nominations then confer with the Executive Board
regarding any final selection.
No more than one (1) award will be given in any year.
selected for this prestigious award will be presented an award/memento unique
to the state of South Carolina.
It will be determined by the Executive Board and may change from year to year.